Thursday 30 June 2011

Odd maths

We've reached a milestone on this blog – 1000 hits. It's really nice to know that people have enjoyed reading what we've written on this journey – even though we're distinctly short on cruising time as yet.

However, things don't add up. Sitemeter says we average 3 hits a day, but that would mean the blog had been live for 333 days, and it's only been up since December. Anyone know what's going on?


I'm also interested in whether Sitemeter registers those who read the blog via a newsfeed or Google Reader. I can see this could account for the discrepancy if it includes them in the total but not for the average daily count.

4 comments:

  1. I think you will find that the average is for the last week - you had 21 in total. If you click on one of the other options on the left hand bar you will get a different average period. As for Google Reader Etc - If you read from this source the individual dosn't come to your page and therefore does not register as a hit.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, I think you must be right about the average being for the last week. I'd always assumed it was the average since starting, but a weekly figure is actually more relevant. I can't see any way to change this setting, at least in the free version of Sitemeter, but I think I'd probably leave it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you go to the settings tab in your Blogger dashboard, then choose 'Site feed' there's a box labelled 'Post Feed Footer', where you can paste in the HTML to make Sitemeter log those as well.

    All the best

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bruce - amazing what you discover along the way! I've assumed you meant the same Javascript code used for the normal page HTML, so that's what I've pasted and we'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete